The Vintage Tower on Santa Clara Street was once the second tallest building in downtown San Jose. Known as the Medico-Dental Building, the 55,000 sq. ft., 13-story building was built in 1928 to house medical office suites exclusively.
In partnership with the City of San Jose Redevelopment Agency, the Aspen Group of San Francisco contracted with C.M. Peletz Co. to renovate the building and change its use to apartments with a long-range goal to then convert to condominiums.
The Steinberg Group's project architect Greg Hepp designed the interiors as well as the renovation of the exterior adhering to the classic Art Deco style.
Structural scope included steel braces extending up to the 10th floor but within the building footprint over new basement foundation system, and the removal and replacement of the12-story exterior stair system.
Interior improvements included rehabbing a pair of existing elevators, all new electrical, plumbing and automatic fire sprinkler systems, construction of apartments in various layouts within the structure and rehabilitation of all existing public area finishes.
Exterior renovations included removal, re-milling and replacement of each window and a complete repair and replacement of exterior finishes.