Location: Palo Alto, CA
Description: Commercial Building
Square Feet: 38,000
The 38,000 square foot building on the Stanford campus was originally used as an animal barn. Sometime before 1940 the building was remodeled and became offices and a food court. Owners Ricks and Becker determined to upgrade the building and change some of the uses.
C.M. Peletz Co. undertook a massive seismic upgrade in order to have the building meet the Un-reinforced Masonry Building (UMB) code. Additional program included offices, retail areas and two restaurants.
Seismic work, including “X” bracing and a combination of concrete and steel “bents”, were placed within the existing structure without damage to the exterior brick walls and arched openings. The existing original roof design, arched windows and doorways and other exterior details were carefully preserved. All new mechanical and electrical systems were installed.
Many new retail spaces were added as were new interior walkways and offices. New and unusual materials were employed into many of the finishes.
The entire construction phase was accomplished without disturbance to longtime tenant Wells Fargo Bank.